Tuesday 1 December 2009

guys and dolls



First off, some business. Congrats to RONI for a brilliant cover design to my new book, Me & Death. Way to go, Roni.
Now, the actual cover will not look like that. (Publishing companies are stick-in-the-muds.) But RONI's school will win a visit from me in the near future. I will keep RONI's cover on the opening page of the website for a bit, and then show the actual grown-up designed cover of the new book so you can be thinking about it for the spring. Publication date is in April.
Actually, I have to say, the book looks great. I don't know if you'll like the story, but the visual is pretty cool. Wait 'til you see it.

OK, enough about literature. Let's talk about sex instead. And by sex I mean stereotypes. Men and women. Yes, this is going to be one of those what do women want discussions. Seems that all the girls in my life are fond of chocolate. They don't all like the same kind of chocolate, but in general the flavour is a winner. I don't know any guy who thinks this way. Not one. For myself, I'll drink chocolate milk, but I can't remember the last time I bought a chocolate bar, or got excited about a box from Ferrero Rocher or Pot o Gold. So when Miriam said, sometime last week, that as long as there was chocolate and sunshine in the world she'd be happy, I was surprised. I got to thinking about basic needs of the two sexes, viewed as Homer and Barbie stereotypes, and this is what I came up with.

WOMEN -- Chocolate, flowers, sunshine, love, silk.

MEN -- Beer, sex, meat, fire, war.

Pretty elemental, eh? Did I miss anything? I wonder where the sexes meet? Coffee comes to mind. Maybe cocaine. Maybe Paris. And of course everyone loves George Clooney. But most of the rest of the universe seems clearly divided.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

RONIs cover idea is great. Love it.

I think it is funny the men's basic needs are entirely monosyllabic. Easier to grunt out what one needs.

Raw meat, huh? You could get that in Paris.

Sand

Richard Scrimger said...

Ha ha. Hadn't noticed the monosyllables. But it makes sense. Men have no time to be yelling anything complex. They have to be eating or drinking or killing. Or watching football, I guess.

Marilyn said...

I love Roni's cover. Too bad you can't really publish the book with that.

The womens' list of things they love is a bit granola-ish. I would say: Chocolate(has to be dark), coffee(also dark), mysterious men(could be dark)
and pedicures with girlfriends, movies, books.

Richard Scrimger said...

Pedicures, eh? Never occurred to me. Maybe I should pay more attention to feet. The women in my life don't talk much about pedicures. But take away their chocolate and you've got problems.

Anonymous said...

Richard,
Haven't you heard about all the mani-pedis for men...some spas even have created man caves for this.

Business meetings in the man cave...soak with your corporate buds.

Susan

Richard Scrimger said...

Mani pedis for men?? My my. In my small town we all go to John the barber for a short back and sides, and trim our nails with a pocket knife. You must be talking about the metrosexual corporate class. Which brings us back to George Clooney.